Established in 2006, the Alberta Elite Hockey League (AEHL) Scholarship Program provides players of good character, hockey ability, and academic standing, with financial assistance to further their education at a recognized post-secondary institution of their choice. Open to eligible U18 AAA players, the scholarship program has awarded $392,000 to 288 athletes. Online applications are accepted annually beginning in March. The period for submitting applications for 2019-20 season has now ended.
Scholarships may be awarded to the following players:
- Players who are currently registered with an AEHL U18AAA member team
- Players who have graduated from the AEHL U18AAA and are no longer eligible to play U18AAA hockey, as outlined by the Hockey Canada registration guidelines; Who participated for a minimum of two years in the AEHL U18AAA, provided such application for scholarship is made no later than one year following the last year registered with an AEHL U18AAA member team.
- No individual may receive more than one AEHL U18AAA Scholarship
NUMBER AND VALUE OF SCHOLARSHIPS
A maximum of 18 annual scholarships are awarded, each valued at $3000. One scholarship available for each AEHL U18AAA team.
ONLINE APPLICATION INFORMATION
Valid applications must be completed in full and include the following:
- Last year played in the AEHL and team
- Name of secondary school attended and graduating year
- A copy of the most recent high school transcript, if available at time of application.
- Name of post-secondary institution and program, if available at time of application.
- Verifying documents (if applicable): letter of post-secondary acceptance, academic schedule, post-secondary transcript
- List of scholarships and financial awards received to date, including applications for other scholarships and/or financial assistance
- List of scholastic awards and athletic or community activities
- Education or career ambitions, interests or hobbies
- Two (2) letters of reference (ie. high school teachers, hockey coaches, members of the community)
AWARDING OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Scholarship recipients will be determined by the scholarship selection committee, led by the AEHL U18AAA Governor . The committee’s decision is final. Applicants will be evaluated based on the totality of the application, including the following factors:
- Citizenship and leadership qualities
- Hockey ability and sportsmanship displayed
- Scholastic standing
- Financial needs
Only successful recipients will be contacted by the AEHL U18 AAA Scholarship Committee. Successful recipients of the AEHL U18 AAA Scholarship will be provided with a letter from the AEHL U18 AAA Scholarship Committee congratulating them on their successful application. The letter will also outline the process and timeline by which the Scholarship may be collected. Players will not receive funds directly from the AEHL U18AA Scholarship Program for their own use.
Players have until December 31, on the fifth year from the date of awarding to collect the scholarship (Ie. if awarded in March 2020, the player has until December 31, 2025). All uncollected scholarship funds will be forfeited by the recipient and returned to the Fund for distribution by the AEHL U18 AAA Scholarship Committee.
Questions regarding the scholarship can be directed to the AEHL U18AAA Governor, Bobby Olynyk.